Steal their style ! #Neutralsareallyouneed.

By  |  6 Comments

camillamarc blazer whitecos pantstrenery white slidesclaire vivier clutch bag

madewell shirt net aporterneed supply chinosc road black slidesj crew bag

Who said neutrals are boring? Never.
Just make sure these classic colours are in the new shapes.
Then mix it up the silhouette.
Loose with loose. Baggy with baggy.
Tuck in your shirt so it gives waist definition.
Get used to this oversize look.  (You should be: I’ve been talking about it since I first sniffed a sign of this new look years ago).
What looks old and dated? Tight with tight.
On the right you’ve got wide crop, high waist chinos with a slouchy stripe shirt and black mules.
On the left you’ve got straight leg chinos , cropped of course, with a chic structured white blazer.
The game changer?
White slides. It’s always about the shoes.
The trick here is that these expensive colours all tone in together rather than perfectly matching.
That’s what makes it look relaxed and effortless.
Add a cute mini designer bag et voila !
Now you can steal their style.
#Getshopping.

White blazer from Camilla and Marc, Chinos from Cos or J crew, white mules from Trenery, clutch from shopbop.
Stripe shirt from Madewell, Need Supply chinos, Country Road mules, J crew bag or Chanel bag at Bluefly.

steal her style

6 Comments

1. Marisa

February 10, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Hi FiFi, I hope I haven’t missed the memo but I get the feeling we’re not rolling up our chinos anymore? Please help. xx Marisa
    PS – are we not mentioning the George “situation”? I woke up to the news and knew it was not going to be a good day!

• FiFi

February 11, 2017 at 8:30 am

Hi Marisa, thanks for asking ! Good question: Don’t worry we are still rolling chinos up but it seems that now they are available already cropped quite short so there is no need to roll…and yes George Clooney …OMG..twins!!! Bless…she is amazing ! xx

2. Tracy Schneider

February 15, 2017 at 10:45 am

Hi Fifi, I love your style philosophy of sticking to a neutral palette of black, white, grey etc. My struggle is with the colours that are supposed to look right for your colour ‘season’ and being able to buy them as core wardrobe pieces. I did a colour consultation many years ago and was classed as a ‘light spring’. Black and white are absolute no-nos. Unless I’m going to the wrong stores (I shop
    Trenery, Country Road, Saba, Marcs, Witchery, Cue, Jacqie E etc) finding core pieces in colours that aren’t black or white seems almost impossible. What do you think about this ‘seasonal colour palette’ philosophy? How do you buy for yourself, and for clients, re the neutral colours that you favour. I’ve just had a big oshop to
    restock on pants (the dreaded middle age spread has hit and I’ve gone from a 6 to an 8 in bottoms but am still a 6 in tops – some days, side-on I look like a snake that’s swallowed a kangaroo – argh, the joys of hitting your mid-40s!). I came home with black pants, navy pants and white pants. I was showing my mother my new purchases and she pointed out that I hadn’t shopped with my ‘colours’ in mind. I went home feeling very depressed and like I’d wasted my money on clothes that aren’t right for me. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

• FiFi

February 16, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Hi Tracey, Thanks for message regarding you colours ! well well well…I quite often hear clients talk about having their colours done and honestly I have to say I think it’s ridiculous ! It’s designed by people who don’t love or understand fashion and need a strict recipe to follow, which is fair enough. But to say not to wear black and white is simply wrong. YOU HAVE NOT WASTED YOUR MONEY !! I say stick the ‘expensive’ colours because they look expensive but don’t have to be. That’s chic black, white, grey with chocolate, camel and navy and cobalt blue. My philosophy with building a versatile wardrobe is based on these chic colours. it makes dressing easy, you look best for your age and you don’t have to spend a fortune. By the way everyone looks fabulous wearing white next their face. And as you get older you could ditch wearing a lot of black next to your face. But it should be the base of your wardrobe in pants and skirts. I always say Hot pink Prada looks expensive but hot pink anything else looks cheap ! Yikes. We all want to look expensive especially as we get older. Funnily enough my colour ‘rules’ are based the same idea as theirs: that you want a criteria to work within when shopping so dressing is easier. But you must always update the shapes ( not the colours) because that is what dates more than anything ! I practice what I preach and those colours are all I wear ..always have , always will. When I take clients shopping it’s the same. But it’s never boring because the shapes are new and the way you style is always changing: Plus the secret way to joosh up your wardrobe is actually with shoes ! If you need a wardrobe detox or a FiFi shopping expedition let me know and I will help you get your mojo back and looking chic de la chic ! Hope that helps ! xx PS a snake that swallowed a kangaroo is hilarious ! xx

• Tracy

February 18, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Oh, but I do so luv you Fifi! Your words are like music to my ears! I found it very interesting that you added cobalt blue to your list of tried-and-true colours – it’s not a colour I would’ve even thought would make the cut but I like it, I like it a lot! And I’m more than happy to bring the joosh into my wardrobe by way of shoes! After committing your words to memory, I headed off to Trenery today to rediscover my mojo – the credit card’s sobbing quietly in the corner as I type this – I ended up with quite a few pieces from your last few Trenery styling videos, along with some delicious silk shirts and wide leg pants. The kanga was nicely camouflaged …

• FiFi

February 20, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Fantastic Tracy! I’m thrilled ! Well done, so glad to hear the Trenery videos are inspiring you as well. And yes cobalt is great it works with all the expensive colours ..also you can sneak in khaki as well if like. Always happy to help xx